Sunday, July 11, 2004

 

Response to Hyunwoo Park. (from Po-Kai)

From Hyunwoo’s response, I think have siblings is good because the single child is lonely. Before eight years old, I was live with my grandparent-in-law and my youngest brother lives with my uncle because my parents are too busy for working and they cannot take care of us. In my grandparent’s place, I cannot find somebody who is similar age to play with me. So, the only things I can do after school is go to field with my grandparent because they are farmers. I play with dogs, frogs, dragonfly, bugs and even snakes in the field. I have an interested childhood when I live with my grandparent, but still felt that I missed something in my mind. After enter elementary school, my brothers and I all back to live with my parent, and then I have chances to play with my brothers. We go fishing, climb trees and pick up fruits together, and even make a bow to shoot my grandmother’s chickens. That was an unforgettable childhood for me. According to my childhood, I felt that have sibling is wonderful thing for every family. Also from AnNa’s novel, I think Young Ju just shock by the suddenly changes from her parent, and she slowly adjust her feeling to accomplish the reality. However, she still points out that what her father has an unequal treatment between her and her baby bother. Her father still believes that boys are better than girls according to Korean custom. This custom exists in Taiwan, too. Many couples go to hospital and ask doctor for helping them to get a boy after they got several girls. This seems unbelievable for American, but it really exists. This kind of custom is influenced by Chinese culture because the ancients believe that only boys have abilities to take care of their aged parents, and this custom now still affects mainland China and even badly. I saw a statistic data from newspaper that more and more Chinese male who lives in China are difficult to find a wife because male are more than female. I hope it will not happen in Taiwan. 
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?