Sunday, July 18, 2004

 

response #3 by Sunghoon Park

Anna, the writer of “A Step From Heaven,” wrote about the daily life in America and how she felt about those daily events as she grew older; Her grandmother passed away, her dreams when she bought lotto, didn’t come true, her dad drank too much, and finally arrested because of drunk driving and chaos to be American and to be Korean. She was confused with that why her family moved to America and why her parents did not want to be American with young-Ju. Her parents always forced to behave like Korean-style such as don’t leave before at eating table and don’t talk loudly and too much when they have lunch or dinner. Furthermore, they did not like to hang out with American friends, and even did not let her go to her American friend’s birthday party. So she was wondered if they want to keep Korean style, why they left Korea. I think that these are really traditional Korean-style. Of course, I heard many things about taboo in daily life. But my parents do not like to keep these taboos, because they think that as the world is changing, life style should change. So when I was young, I was not forced by these restrictions. When my family had dinner, we often talked too much and when someone in my family had to do something, he/she use to leave dining room before. But my parent attached great importance to keep one of the Korean cultures, which is respecting to other people, especially to older people. So, I think that I can distinguish what cultures have to keep or not. Finally the best thing what I think is to maintain both sides, that is when she meet American, she respect and act American style, and when she is meet Korean, she respect and act Korean culture.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?