Sunday, July 18, 2004

 

part 3 (lisa)

In this third part of the novel (pg 60-116), I found interesting part of the culture that An Na mentioned, especially the part that she compared the culture in Korea and in US. Apa and Uhmma taught that American culture is bad and Korean’s culture is good. However, Young Ju has an American friend, Amanda. When Young Ju comes to Amanda’s party, she found out that American culture is different. And she likes it, because she has a chance to talk or speak up when she does not like something. On the other hand, in her family only Apa who can talk and nobody can speak up their own opinion. She is very upset when she has to break up the friendship with Amanda. Apa also thinks that man is more and must be tough. They cannot cry, they must responsible, etc. He is also very cruel to Uhmma and Uhmma cannot do anything. Because he is the head of the family and everybody must do whatever he said. For me, I think I do not agree with Apa who is very strict and can not see that there is some good parts from American culture. In my experience, my parents are little bit different from Apa who always controls Uhmma and his children. They are more opening minded. My parents start to see a good side of American culture. However, my parents do not let their children have an American boyfriend or girlfriend. They said that the culture is different, American can falling in love so easy to others; my parents cannot communicate with them, etc. For these reasons that my parents mentioned, it is very reasonable and understandable. I can see how they still give me freedom to build a friendship with American and let me to speak up my own opinion with them. They really give me the freedom that I am so thankful since I read this story.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?