Monday, July 12, 2004

 

lisa's opinion#2

In page 28-59, Young Ju has a little brother. His name is Park Joon Ho. Her parents like her brother more than her, especially Apa. It is very obvious that Apa cares to Joon Ho and proud of him. He clearly shows that Joon Ho will become a person who will continue his family’s name. The culture in Korea shows that male has a higher status than female. Male can have a better position in society, such as a president. Male can get and achieve whatever they want, especially in a higher position. This mindset is real in my life, especially in my family. My parents want to have a son, because they want to have someone who can continue their business. They think that female can be a housewife only and serve her husband. Female can work in very minimum of time. But, unfortunately they do not have any son. Since I do not have any brother, my parents do not really differentiate male and female. I disagree with Apa who pays more attention to Joon Ho and underestimate Young Ju. For me, I agree that man and woman have different role, however, it is unfair if woman cannot have opportunity to achieve woman’s own goals because of woman is lower status or weak than man. In page 38, Uncle Tim whisper to Young Ju and told her that in America women can do almost anything men can do. This is true. When I came here, I can see that American does not differentiate male and female. On the other hand, they support whoever can achieve a better position in society. Man and woman are competitive in most areas, especially in work place. This competitive between man and woman is good idea, because man cannot underestimate woman again. Again, I agree that man and woman have different roles but it does not mean that woman cannot do anything.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?