Sunday, July 11, 2004

 

Having a baby brother. Good? Bad? by Hyunwoo Park

I totally understand Young Ju’s behavior that she shows when her new brother comes to family. In many Asian countries, including Korea, boys are more respected than girls. So, even though Young Ju is the first child in her family, she is not expected to do much. When she says she also can be a president, her farther just laughs and says “You are a girl, Young ju.” He just does think it’s possible that she can be a president. Although maybe she doesn’t even know what a president is, her dad’s reaction hurts her little heart. When Young Ju was a baby, he didn’t even hold her. But now, he volunteers changing his son. Because of her baby brother, she’s kind of push up. Suddenly she’s forced to be old, old sister.
She’s still just a baby who wants to be hugged most of the time, but now she’s pushed out from the center of her parents’ concern. I have a sort of similar experience. When I was two years old, my baby sister was born, and by then, I was still being fed breasts milk by mother. After my sister came out, there was no more breasts feeding for me. My mother told me that when she was feeding my sister, I crawled to mom and looked up at her with pitiable eyes. I couldn’t possibly remember this because I was too young, but still I could understand that feeling; forced to glow up in just one day. Even though I wasn’t jealous of my sister, still I absolutely sympathize with Young Ju. She is even told to be reasonable from her mother. Her mother said that just because she’s now older sister of her brother. I think expecting to be reasonable from a third grade girl is a little hasty. The first children in families get not only benefits from being the first children but also a lot of pressure. They have to well behave and take care of their baby sisters and brothers right from the moment when new babies come out. Maybe I adore Young Ju too much, but I think she’s not old enough to bear this kind of responsibility.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?