Sunday, July 18, 2004

 

from yuki shimizu

I am wondering that Young Ju is a Korean American or just a Korean girl in the U.S.A.  There is the conflict between Young and her mom in that she can be able to make a birthday party of her best friend, Amanda.  She already knew her mom’s reaction toward her question which asks if she can go or not.  I felt the impression that she has still pure and honest heart when I read the part in which she are thinking different strategy to convince her mom to go to the birthday party.   She cannot understand why she has to behave like Korean girl.  However, she knows that her mom and dad will get mad if she behaves like American girl.  Even though, in her mind, she has been grown up as American girl, the parents try to make her fit the Korean rule and discipline.  I wish everyone had the pure and kind hearts like Young, then there were no conflict between race and nationality.  I do not know why people forget the feeling which they felt when they are a little and their view points are not broad and flexible after they grow up. 
            We Asian should change our view point.  I was so frustrated the behavior that her dad did toward her wife and daughter.  In his mind, there is the thinking which men are dominant position in the family.  Although a man is a leader in his family, he should take care of everybody and he may sometimes sacrifice himself to make them happy. I do not say that everything in the U.S., but I like the American family.  Because they are bonded together with smile or love.  They can express their feeling to anybody, and children can treat their parents like their best friends.  On the other hand, children in our country may have a kind of hesitation toward parents which is more than showing a respect.  If I had a chance to have a child, I would make he/she a one of my best friends.  

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?