Sunday, July 25, 2004

 

daisy

I was amazed when Young Ju said that her mom too can have choices in America (129). As a Korean grew up America, Ju’s realized that she has choices and she wanted her mom to realize that. Actually, the freedom of choices for women in America was not limited to American women but for all women who live in America. Nevertheless, Ju’s mom pretended to ignore her by looks into the mirror and applies some lipstick. When I put myself in Ju’s mom position, probably I would not do the same thing as she did. I will defend myself and tries to find a way to resolve the problems. It is so true that Asian women are very obedient and devoted to their husband, but it does not mean that their husband can take them for granted for what they do for the family. From the previous chapters that I read, I know that she is a strong woman because she could survive her mean husband. But at the same time, she put her misery within herself and that was not good. Moreover, it was relieving to know that Ju grew up to be a strong woman like her mom. I admired for her spirit to move on into a better life by being a top A’s student. In a way Ju inspired her mom to move on with her life and be there for her children. This part of the novel was tremendous heartbreaking to me. It was full of emotion and I sometimes could feel the pain of Ju and her mom. Furthermore, I cannot stop cursing Ju’s dad for his bad habits: to beat his kids. But overall, I like this part of the book better (p117-137) cause it was full of moral lessons for me. 

 

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?