Sunday, July 11, 2004

 

About Yuki's posting by Hyunwoo Park

I don’t just understand Yuki’s feeling that he felt when it was hard, but also I applaud him for his effort. I really liked his story. I feel like I just read whole another story. Even though there might be some differences depending on who they are, where it is, or how long they stay, every one’s having some sort of hard time when they goes to a new place. I also have had hard times now and then. In my case, it wasn’t so hard at the first. I was barely able to talk English, but I made some friends in my class. At that time, I wasn’t trying to get in the university, so it was a just language program class. All my class mates were non-native speakers, and that actually gave me confidence about talk to them. I thought although I was a horrible English speaker, they weren’t that much better than me. So I tried and they responded very friendly. Before I tried, I was feared about them not being friendly, but I was just a silly mind trick. They were in the same situation as me. They also needed someone to talk to. So I think when I first came to them and said hello, they were glad. We had some good time. But my problem came up after I decided to attend classes here. Other than me, everybody is native speakers. That freaked me out. Like Yuki did, I also had a hard time to understand what they were saying. I just smiled at them or said yes or no depends on what their mood was. If it felt negative, I said no and made I-don’t-like-that-either-face. I felt so stupid when I did that. I know I should have asked them to say it again, but I didn’t want to be some one who slows conversations down. After I lost my self-confidence of speaking English, I started to avoid talking with my class mates even when I completely understood them. It was hard, but like Yuki said, no problems last forever. I just faced my fear, and now I feel pretty confident about speaking English with any body.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?