Sunday, July 25, 2004

 

4th response fro Seon Cheol Yoon

The conclusion is so bad. I wanted a happy ending, but Young Ju's father went to Korea, leaving this family in the America that he considered as Heaven. You can imagine how hard Young Ju's mother works for her children. Especially, the last part of the novel describes the pleasure that Young Ju and her mother buy the new house for the first time in America. This made me smile. I was very happy when I read this last part. Most Korean immigrants may start their lives like Young Ju's mother, and many of them may have similar experience that Apa left America alone. As you know immigration is not a happy dream but starting ordeals. I realized that it is not easy to make decision of immigration throughout the novel, and I also feel the difficulty of my uncle who immigrated to Canada about 30 years ago. If Young Ju’s family lived in Korea, Would they make better life then in America? , And would it be the best choice to go to America? Some people say that you also can be successful in Korea with the same efforts if you exert yourself to be successful in America. I totally agree to this. If I were Young Ju’s father, I would stay in Korea. Nowadays, many Koreans are preparing for immigration to countries whose first language is English. They say the purpose that they try to immigrate is for their children. It is so-called immigration for education in Korea. The first generation of immigration was for surviving, the second generation of immigration is for better future of their children.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?