Sunday, July 18, 2004

 

3rd part of the novel (Vonny)

I like this part better thatn the other two parts because this section talked about Young Ju's teenage life. After reading this novel, I understand a little bit more about Korean culture. Now I know that in Korean, there is a far distance between parents and the children, especailly to their father. It seemes like a lot of fathers like their son better than their daughter. This can also be seen in chinese culture. In most of asian culture, they value sons more than daughters because they believe that sons can continues the family while daughters will only follows their husbands. When I read the section where Apa scold Joon just because he cried, I found a new understanding that in Korean culture, man suppose to be tough and brave. However, I think it is too hard especially for little kids. They are not allow to express their feeling. It would be hard for boys to grow up because they have to be so stiff, if they show their soft side, they would be called a girl. I saw this in Apa's actions. He never show his soft side except when his mother died. I think it would be very hard for me to live in Young Ju's family because in my family, we used to have fun and makes jokes. My father like to go out with all of us to the malls or watched movies and made jokes with us. Over all I really like this section of the novel. I think it shows a lot of Young Ju's, Joon's and their parent's feeling.    

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?