Sunday, July 18, 2004

 

#3 "new" response (Yuki Suzuki)

"Damn it!", this kinda bad word came up with my mind when I read the scene Apa hit Joon and Young Ju. "Why did they, Apa's family come to live in U.S?" , and "Why does Apa keep his emotion moderate to his children? " ,many questions also came to my mind with anger to Apa and Uhmma. You know,, but I can understand his unstable emotion because I am a man. It seems that Apa is struggling with everything such as job and life to fullfill family's expections, but it did not work well. He said "My best is always not enough(line.9 p.96)". When he went to embassy to renew Young's green card,  he tried to make sure if he does not have to come back again. I think he really does not like to come back again, but he could not forgive himself who could not understand Englsih and the situation as a father. He was expected to be a good father in U.S, but He could not feel the sense that he is a good father. He just felt the powerless man who was about to be helped by his mather and chilren in many things. In second assignment reading part, Uhmma was hit by Apa because she said to him ""If I worked two jobs and...(line 5 p. 35)". Uhmma's word hurt Apa's "pride" because he has tried to fulfill expectations that family has, but Uhmma did not understand it at all. I understand his place completely, but he should know the effort that Uhmma did for him and hher family. She keeps even one pennie as if it is a gold coin. She really does not want to spend extra money, and save it for family and the future. Apa should know this effort!
As a father, as a mother, and as a Korean, they are struggling with everything. in U.S. Uhmma thinks that American girl does not study and should have bad influence on Young, so she did not want Young to visit Amanda. Addition to this, Uhmma does not want Young to owe to American(amanda) because Uhmma has a "pride" that we can do everything without help as a Korean and mother, I think. Those pride is looks like the strong will to be strong and happy in U.S in future for Uhmma and Apa.
 
I think I can not say easy thing from the vie of my position, because I am just international student, and I do not work, and I do not have responsibility for family. Apa has much resposibility and burden than me. However, I could say that to be independent without any help does not make sense at all because I know people cannot do everything without help. People live on earth to support each other, you know.




 



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?